02 9635 5333

02 9635 5333


Understand your rights and obligations.

Relationships end but the obligation to financially support your kids doesn’t.


Child Support Lawyers & Solicitors Sydney


Child support is managed by the Child Support Agency, a part of the federal government Department of Human Services.
The Child Support Scheme is designed to help separated parents take joint responsibility for the financial support of their children by:
● calculating how much child support should be paid based on the costs of raising children, how much parents earn, and the percentage of care, as well as● collecting and transferring child support payments between separated parents
The formulas used to stipulate who pays child support and how much they are obliged to pay can be confusing.
If you need help negotiating a fair arrangement contact Alan Rigas Solicitors on (02) 9635 5333 or the Child Support Agency on 131 272.


● Paternity issues● Change of child support assessments● Departure orders● Child support agreements/Variation of agreements● Enforcement of child support debts● Overseas child support matters


A separated family may have child support assessed under a formula assessment, an agreement, or court order registered with the Child Support Agency (CSA).
There are three ways to pay child support:
● Self management: this lets you arrange your child support payments without involving the authorities. You and the other person decide the amount of child support to pay, as well as when and how it will be paid. You manage the payments between yourselves and you don’t need to register with the Child Support Agency.● Private collect: you and the other person work out how and when payments are made between yourselves, based on a child support assessment agreement or court order. The Child Support Agency works out much to pay. But it’s up to you to manage the payments and keep records of your arrangement and payments. If payments are unpaid, you can ask the Child Support Agency to start collecting payments.● Child Support Agency collects and transfers payments: this may be preferable if you think your ex is likely to miss or withhold payments. The Child Support Agency has enforcement options if payments aren’t made on time. However, if circumstances change, remember that you could find yourself on the receiving end of whatever arrangements you put in place.

Alan Rigas Solicitors have been dealing with family law matters for over 20 years. Contact us today: 02 9635 5333


Don’t voluntarily quit your high paying job and automatically expect to pay less child support. The cost of raising your children doesn’t change so the Child Support Agency will expect you to maintain payments at the agreed level. This doesn’t apply if you are made redundant, have health issues, or your employer legitimately reduces your income.

Related content


Custody/Parenting plans

The court takes into account at least 7 different factors when determining living arrangements and visitation rights for children.



How assets are divided depends on a number of factors. We identify issues quickly.


Property settlement

Make a new will as soon as your divorce is finalised. Immediately after separating, revoke any power of attorneys held by your spouse or other people who may be loyal to them.


Financial agreements

Re-marrying? These legally binding arrangements are not just for rich and famous.

Our other services


Immigration services

Our firm’s principal, Alan Rigas is an Accredited Specialist in Immigration Law. If you’re employing an overseas worker or sponsoring a loved one to live in Australia, you’ve come to the right place.


Employment contracts

We can provide strategic advice in negotiating or drafting your next employment contract. Or, in the event of a breach of contract, we can advise you of your rights.


Property & conveyancing

Buying or selling a home, investment property or business is one of the most important transactions people will ever make. We coordinate the entire transaction.


Criminal & traffic offences

We can advise whether to plead guilty or challenge the charge.

  • Find Us

Suite 3, Level 1,9 George StreetParramatta NSW 2150