02 9635 5333

02 9635 5333

Applying for a Work Visa in Australia

Prior to submitting a work visa application, you must ensure that you have gathered all necessary documents so that you may submit them with the Department of Home Affairs. These documents include:

Identity Documents

You must provide the department with scans of the pages of your current passport that show:● Your photo● Personal details (such as place and date of birth)● Passport issue and expiry date● Location of passport issue● Signature

Additionally, you must provide the Department with other official identity documents that may be used to further support the above details such as a National Identity Card.

If you have changed your name, you must also be able to provide the Department with a proof of your name change. These documents include:

● A marriage or divorce certificate● A change of name documents from an Australian Registry of Birth, Deaths and Marriages, or the relevant overseas authority ● Documents that show any other names you have been known by.

It is important to note that all documents that are not in English must be translated to English by a NAATI (National Accredited Authority for Translators and Interpreters) certified translator, if applying domestically, or if applying internationally, by a translator approved by your country’s Australian Government Embassy or Consulate.

Sponsor Documents

If you are applying under a sponsored visa stream, you will need to provide your sponsor’s nomination approval, as well as a written statement from your sponsor, stating that they will meet their sponsorship obligations towards you and any other people included in your application.

Proof of Adequate Health Insurance

As you are responsible for any heath care debts incurred whilst in Australia, you will need to provide evidence that you are fully covered for any unplanned medical and/or hospital care that you may need while in Australia.

Skills Assessment Documents

When applying for a work visa, you must be able to demonstrate that your skills have been assessed by the relevant skills assessing authority such as the Australian Physiotherapy Council or The Institution of Engineers Australia.This must be done and uploaded to your ImmiAccount prior to any decision about your visa being made.A list of Department of Home Affairs authorised assessment authorities can be found here.

Character Documents

You must provide the Department of Home Affairs with an Australia Police Certificate from the Australian Federal Police if you have spent a total of 12 or more months in Australia in the last 10 years. You may also be asked to provide a similar police check for any other country you have resided in for a period of 12 months or more during the course of past 10 years.

Meeting Requirements

In addition to these documents, you must ensure that you have met all necessary requirements for your visa prior to lodging it with the Department of Home Affairs. These requirements include:

English Language Requirement

Applicants wishing to enter Australia will also need to demonstrate that they have undertaken an English test in the last 3 years before applying for their visa. You must undertake the English test via an approved examination authority (set out below) and must provide the results of your test to the Department to prove your proficiency.

Test Score
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Overall score of at least 6 with a minimum score of 5 for each of the 4 parts
Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based Test (TOEFL iBT) Total score of at least 64 with a minimum score of 4 for listening, 4 for reading, 14 for writing and 14 for speaking
Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) Overall score of at least 50 with a minimum score of 36 for each of the 4 parts
Occupational English Test (OET) At least B for each of the 4 parts
Cambridge C1 Advanced test Overall at least 169 with a minimum score of at least 154 in each of the 4 test components

● You do not need to provide any results if you hold a valid passport from the following countries:● the United Kingdom● Canada● New Zealand● the United States● the Republic of Ireland
Additional exceptions to English proficiency requirements for a Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482) can be found here.

Evidence of Funds

You may be asked by the Department to provide evidence that you have enough money to fund your stay in Australia. This is usually AUD$5,000.00.Depending on the specific type of work visa you apply for, you must also show the Department that you have enough money to buy a ticket to leave Australia at the time your visa expires or that you have already purchased one.

Evidence of funds include:● Bank Statements● Documents showing allowances, accommodation and stipends from your sponsor while in Australia ● Employment contracts

Final Words

The material included in this article is designed and intended to provide general information on obtaining a work visa in Australia, which is current at the time of publication and is for general informational purposes only.
The contents do not constitute legal advice and are not intended to be a substitute for legal advice and should not be relied upon as such.